BA (Lyon — UCL)
MA (Paris – Montreal)
Year of DPhil: 3
My research interests are early modern French theatre, translation studies, theatre translation, multilingual theatre.
My thesis will provide a reflection on the thriving production of post-war translations and adaptations of Molière’s comedies, and will attempt to account for the success of some of the translations with reference to their prosody. It focuses on the formal strategies deployed by translators rather than on cultural domestication, reterritorialisation and modernisation of the idiom, which are mainstream topics in theatre translation studies.
The thesis will also provide a study of the aesthetic and dramatic effects of Molière’s and Racine’s alexandrines.
2017-2018 Translation Practice: English-French-English, Continuing Education, Oxford
2017-2018 French 5 (B2), Continuing Education, Oxford
2017-2018 Tutorials on Molière and Racine, Keble College
2016-2018 French Tutor, Intensive weekends, Continuing Education, Oxford
2016-2017 Translation into French, Jesus College
(Peer-reviewed) ‘Traduire l’alexandrin pour la scène anglaise, l’exemple des trois “McGoughières.”’ Palimpsestes, n° 29, Paris: Presses de l’Université Paris Sorbonne-Nouvelle, Oct. 2016, 121-135.
(Peer-reviewed) ‘La traduction de la scène, pour la scène et sur la scène : un paradigme de création.’ Chemin de tr@verse, (forthcoming).
(Blog post) ‘Editorialités: pratiques et enjeux à travers les siècles’ (report on study-day), for Voltaire Foundation Blog and Oxford French Early Modern Seminar.
Conference and Seminar Papers
- Round table on multilinguial theatre as a political engagement, invited speaker, International conference on theatre and multilinguialism, Université Mohammed 1er, Oujda, Morroco.
- Workshop on verse plays, Molière, Shakespeare and Racine, and on multilingual translations, Université Mohammed 1er, Oujda, Morocco.
- ‘Time Control and Time Perception in Modern Translations of Molière’s Comedies’ Society for Early Modern French Studies Annual Conference, Wadham College, Oxford (Sept 2016)
- ‘A Reconsideration of Published Translations of Theatre,’ Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing, BNF, Paris (July 2016)
- ‘Les adaptations de Tony Harrison: Revitalisation esthétique et nouveau paradigme compositionnel,’ International Conference on ‘Traduction: source de découvertes et de créations,’ Université Saint- Etienne (June 2016)
- ‘The Dramatic Quality of Verse in Translations of Molière’s Comedies,’ Oxford French Graduate seminar, All Souls College, (May 2016)
- ‘Translating Molière: Revitalising Prosody,’ Graduate Showcase, Maison Française, Oxford (April 2016)
- ‘Une versification scénique: l’exemple des trois ‘McGoughières,’ International Conference on Theatre Translation, Université Sorbonne-Nouvelle, Oct 2015
- Corporal and Textual Violation: The Advent of the Sonorous in Howard Barker’s Drama,’ Graduate conference on ‘Violation,’ McGill University, (Feb 2015)
- Researcher, actor, writer, and dramaturg for Instant Mix Theatre Lab, focusing on multilingual productions.
- 2017: Co-organiser: International conference on Translation into Theatre and the Social Sciences, Oxford
- 2017-present: Graduate convener, Theatre and Performance Network, Oxford
- 2017-present: Member of Executive Committee, Society For Early Modern French Studies
- 2016-present: Freelance Editor and Researcher, Voltaire Foundation, Oxford
- 2016-2017: Graduate convener, Oxford Early Modern French Seminar
- 2015-16: Academic Events Coordinator, Graduate student network of the MML Faculty, Oxford
- 2015-16: AHRC-TORCH Student Peer Review College
- 2014-15: Graduate conference co-organiser, ‘Commitment within and through Music,’ University of Montreal
- 2015-present: Professional French translator: Oxford Online Language Academy (OXOLA), Quicksilver Media (Oxford), Fondation Chagnon (Montreal, Canada), Caractère Edition, (Montreal)
- British Comparative Literature Association
- Society for Early Modern French Studies
- Society for French Studies
- European Society for Translation Studies