LIDL 'Year Abroad' Prizes
We are delighted to announce four new Year Abroad Prizes, kindly sponsored by Lidl, available to students reading German.
Four prizes of £500 each for creative projects to be undertaken alongside the main activities of the year abroad.
Students who wish to enter this competition should submit a one-side description of a creative or scholarly project which they can undertake in a German-speaking country. They should also go into practical detail and costs, and give an outline of any preliminary planning or contacts. Prizes will be awarded for the most innovative and exciting projects that have some connection, however tangential, to the student’s main subjects of study and/or their career plans.
Successful applicants are required to maintain some sort of record (blog or vlog) of their activities and further prizes of up to an additional £500 will be awarded to the best vlogs or creative outputs from their projects. (Usually, £500 for best submission plus £250 for the runner up.)
Applications to be submitted c/o the Faculty Year Abroad Office, by 30 May of the year prior to embarking on the year abroad. To be assessed by the German Heath-Harrison rep and the Webmaster for German.
Examples of projects:
- Attendance at an art course in Berlin, devoted to the image of the city in the last 50 years.
- Work for a charity helping refugees to give city tours in English.
- A project on the art and sculpture of Ernst Barlach and its relation to his literary works, undertaken at the Barlach Museum
Possible vlogs could include:
- Conduct a Behind-the-scenes interview with the director of a play (cf. Tom Kuhn’s interview with Tony Kushner)
- Develop a bilingual guided tour to a historical site (cf. Reformation at Oxford Walking Tour)
- Make a guidebook for a culinary journey into a regional cuisine with recipes (cf. a culinary journey through Northern German convents)
Before starting, make sure to familiarise yourself with best practice for creating media content at the Oxford Media Publishing Guide; useful guidelines for vlogging can be found here: “How to vlog”