British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme
The Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages welcomes interest from suitably qualified applicants in this year’s British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme, for awards to be taken up in September or October 2020. The scheme is designed to “offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment which will develop their curriculum vitae and improve their prospects of obtaining permanent lecturing posts by the end of the Fellowship.”
Further details and guidance documents can be found on the British Academy website at: http://www.britac.ac.uk/british-academy-postdoctoral-fellowships
How to Apply
Applicants applying to hold fellowships at the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages are asked to follow the steps listed below:
- Ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria. You must have/expect to have obtained your doctorate by 1 April 2020 and after 1 April 2017 (earlier dates only in certain circumstances, such as parental leave), and you must be a UK or EEA national, or have completed a doctorate at a UK university. You must not have held a permanent academic post.
- Due to the high volume of applications, the BA does not allow re-submissions by those who have previously applied, unless by the BA’s invitation, so it is important to consider whether this is the best year for you to make the application.
- Think about who your referee for the BA application will be and include the name of this person in your Faculty application. One referee, usually the external examiner, is required (this referee does not need to supply a reference for the internal Faculty deadline).
- Identify and approach a potential Faculty mentor. Ask your mentor to write a letter for the Faculty, confirming that they would be happy to act in this role. Mentor letters should be emailed to email@example.com by noon on Friday, 16th August 2019.
- Prepare and submit the internal Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages BA PDF application form (available here) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday, 16th August 2019.
- Your application will then be considered by a member of the Faculty’s review panel for this scheme and further guidance will be sent to you.