BA in Modern Languages, University of Verona
MLitt in Women, Writing, and Gender, University of St Andrews
MA in European, American, and Postcolonial Languages and Literature, Ca’ Foscari University of Venice
Queer Studies; Gender Studies; Contemporary Italian Literature; Comparative Literature; Film Studies; Anglo-American Literature
My project investigates the oeuvre by Sicilian director Emma Dante and, more precisely, her works that feature LGBTQ+ characters. My research engages with question of homonationalism, homonormativity, spectrality, and trauma in Dante’s works.
- Parrinello, Alice. “ ‘Ciao Italia’: Homonationalist and Homonormative Tendencies in Drag Race Italia” in Simultanea: A Journal of Italian Media and Pop Culture (vol. 3, n.1, 2022);
- Parrinello, Alice. “Piazza dei Cinquecento: An Intersectional Lieu de Mémoire in Igiaba Scego and Porpora Marcasciano” in gender/sexuality/italy (8, 2021);
- Parrinello, Alice. “ ‘Until the Mainstream Began to Absorb What was Once Radical:’ Assimilation and Disruption in Call Me By Your Name and Girl, Woman, Other” in “Pop-” and “Post-” Contemporary Routes in English Culture, edited by Alessia Polatti and Roberta Zanoni, Aras Edizioni (2022: 197-214);
- Parrinello, Alice. “No country(side) for young queers” in Whatever. A Transdisciplinary Journal of Queer Theories and Studies (4, 2021: 411-430).
- 2022. AAIS Conference Special Correspondent.
- 2021-2023. Co-convenor. Queer Intersections Oxford Network, TORCH, University of Oxford.
2021-2022. Creator and Producer, Queer Graphics: Fumetti Italiani LGBTQIA+, Podcast.
- ‘Digital Comics and Queer Online Activism,’ Comics Strike Back: Digital Comics, Digital Audiences, Digital Practices Conference, University of Ghent, 11-13 July 2022;
- ‘Emma Dante’s Oddkin Families,’ 11th European Feminist Research Conference, Panel: Posthumanism – New Materialism, 15-18 June 2022;
- ‘Queering Italian Comics,’ NeMLA 2022, Panel: Italian Comics in the New Millennium, 10-13 March 2022;
- ‘Piazza dei Cinquecento as a de-normativised lieu de memoir,’ AAIS 2021, Panel: Intersectional Analysis and Italian Studies, May-June 2021;
- ‘Homonormativity and Mainstream Contemporary LGBTQ+ Fiction,’ In Between “Pop-” and “Post-” Conference, University of Verona, December 2020;
- ‘Resisting the Derangement: the MaddAddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood and Amitav Ghosh,’ Breaking Boundaries Conference, University of Lisbon, September 2019;
- ‘Postcolonial Belonging Inside University Spaces,’ Displacement Conference, CUNY Graduate Center, November 2018;
- ‘Fun Home and the Queer Domestic Space,’ Man of the House Conference, University of St Andrews, June 2018.